- 1 In a large mixing bowl combine and toss the lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, snow peas and bean shoots, cover and set side in the refrigerator.
- 2 Place flour in another bowl, season well with salt and pepper. Prepare the calamari by cutting through the length of the tube, lay out with the inner surface of the tube, facing up. Using a sharp knife score without cutting through to the other side in a close, diagonal direction, one way and then the opposite, creating a diamond pattern. Pat dry with kitchen paper then slice into 5cm strips. Toss the calamari strips in the flour.
- 3 Heat enough oil in a medium pot, to deep fry over a high heat. Bring oil to 180⁰C (if using a thermometer or until bubbles instantly form around a dipped bamboo skewer). Shake off excess flour off strips and fry the calamari, 6 pieces at a time for 30 seconds. Remove from the oil and rest on a kitchen paper lined tray. Then repeat with remaining strips.
- 4 Once all the calamari is cooked, remove pot of oil from the heat and set a wok or large frying pan on high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the frying oil to the pan and fry the shallots and Lightly Dried Ginger for 1 minute before adding the Lightly Dried Chilli, Garlic and Lemongrass Cold Blended Pastes and frying for further minute. Be careful -Do not allow to burn! Return the calamari to the pan and toss continuously for 1 minute to heat through.
- 5 Serve calamari immediately over the salad and serve with lemon wedges.